Queenstown is one of New Zealand's top visitor destinations and if you come to the region you'll understand why.
The town sits on the shore of crystal clear Lake Wakatipu among dramatic ranges.
The lake and mountain landscape make it suited to all kinds of adventure. There's skiing in the winter and activities such as bungy jumping, sky diving, canyon swinging, jet boating, horse trekking and river rafting all year round. If hardcore adventure isn't your thing, there are plenty of mellow options available. Experience one of the many walking & hiking trails, sightseeing tours or indulge yourself with spa treatments, boutique shopping and excellent food and wine.
Head out of Queenstown and the drama of the Central Otago landscape unfolds around you. If you're a Lord of the Rings fan you'll recognize many of the locations of Middle-earth here. Twenty minutes from Queenstown, Arrowtown's gold-mining history is alive and vibrant. Visit the Lakes District Museum or go gold panning. Forty minutes from Queenstown at the northern tip of Lake Wakatipu is rural Glenorchy and Paradise Valley. From here it's a short drive into the Mt Aspiring National Park and the start of some of New Zealand's great walks.
Need some inspiration?
With a buzzing atmosphere and stunning scenery, you'll find there's no other place in the world quite like queenstown.
- Ride the Skyline Gondola for iconic views across Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu.
- Visit Glenorchy, set amongst ancient beech forests and on the doorstep of the Mount Aspiring National Park, it's a great place to enjoy horse riding, kayaking, walking and skydiving.
- Take a scenic flight for a bird's eye view of the dramatic natural landscapes.
- Draw inspiration from the amazing alpine surroundings as you play a round of golf on one of Queenstown's world-renowned courses.
- Marvel at the spectacular scenery on a day trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound.
- There's no shortage of things happening around the region with plenty of exciting events throughout the year.
Challenge yourself to push your own limits. You'll find every type of adventure here, from mild to wild.
- If you're visiting during the winter season, hit the slopes to go skiing or snowboarding or try snowshoeing.
- Defy gravity and step out of your comfot zone with an adrenaline-pumping activity like bungy jumping, canyon swinging, canyoning or ziplining.
- Hurtly through the air attached to a skydive instructor or soar like a bird as you hang glide or paraglide.
- Get on a bike. Take an exhilarating heli-biking tour, ride with the locals on downhill tracks, check out the cross country biking trails or pedal around the lakefront.
- Enjoy clear mountain air and stunning vistas on one of the many walking trails within easy reach of Queenstown.
Looking to explore?
Journey through unique landscapes and uncover new experiences all within easy reach.
- Discover the rich history of nearby Arrowtown, an old goldmining town famous for it's rich autumn colours.
- Cruise the lakes and rivers at the pace you choose. Options range from lake cruises to exhilarating jet boat rides, whitewater rafting and parasailing.
- Take a four wheel drive adventure into the heart of the backcountry.
- Follow the clear, sparkling waters in search of elusive trout, in the freshwater lakes during fishing season.
- Visit Kingston and step back in time with a rail journey on the Kingston Flier, a vintage steam train.
Fancy a little relaxation?
Soak up the relaxed and friendly local vibe as you recharge and indulge yourself a little.
- Visit the region's wineries to sample award-winning wines or take a guided wine tour with a friendly and knowledgable guide.
- Choose from more than 120 restaurants and cafes ranging from gourmet fare to locally crafted beer, wine and chocolate.
- Treat yourself to some retail therapy in Queenstown's stylish shopping precinct.
- Get romantic with a dawn hot air balloon flight or cosy up in winter in front of the roaring fireplace in a boutique bar.
- Relax at one of the luxury day spas for some 'me' time to revitalize your mind, body and soul.